Let's Talk Skylinks

If you participated in our recent event at Skylinks in Long Beach, I would like to hear your thoughts about the day. I'll start by sharing some of my own.

Right out of the gate, I want to thank the Tournament Director, Abe Pearlman, for suggesting this event some months back, and then making it happen. It's one thing to be the TD for an event at Costa Mesa (which still requires a bunch of effort and we appreciate), but another thing entirely to coordinate at an away course. Thank you Abe, and any others who helped out.

The weather for the day was great, but the rain the previous day closed the range (save for a couple nets to hit into), and forced the Cart Paths Only restriction. 

This leads me to my first question: When did you break the cart path only rule? For me, it was the 14th hole. I started thinking about it on the 11th, but it took a few more holes to get the nerve up to actually do it. Felt so guilty afterwards that I kept it on the path for the duration of the round.

Next Topic: Course Condition

Greens were beautiful to me. Maybe a little furry, but visually very appealing. Fairways were also, for the most part, very nice. Granted, any groups behind me might have found some sand-filled-divots the size of bunkers - sorry 'bout those! But...the aprons around the greens (and beyond) were kind of shoddy. Maybe they are dealing with some type of fungus attacking the grass? I don't remember that condition the one other time I played the course, maybe 6 months ago. Your thoughts?

That's all I got, but hope to hear from others. You can use the comment feature to reply to the post, if you would like.

Cheers!

Jeff





1 comment:

  1. No driving range was a negative for several of the players I talked to including myself. I think the pro shop or super was being over protective since the course has fairway drains and is designed properly. Greens did seem like they were not cut and rolling slower than I've seen in the past there. Overall I don't think the course was in poor condition. It seemed to be playing tougher than when I've played there before. It did seem like a long round but that I think was due to cart path only which really slows play. Away tournaments are always fun and my thanks to Abe as well for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but only if appropriate